Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Customer Service Rant


Customer Service…some people just should not be in that line of work. Having done it myself, I know that it is not always the most pleasant thing, but it’s your job. Today I had to venture out into where the public is located…outside my door. I will name the stores, just on the off chance they happen to find this post, perhaps they will do something about their employees and train them…but I won’t hold my breath.

I called around to my favorite stores to see if they had a weighted vest in stock. They did not, but would have some in a week or so. That’s the way it is with the smaller stores. Great for when you need a common item, but not so great when you have your heart set on something…NOW. 

Anyways, since I didn’t feel like waiting, I decided to visit one of the newer stores to spring up in the area, Sports Authority. I had been to one in the past, but it was about an hour’s drive away. This new store was closer, but also smaller. I walked in, quickly figured out where the weighted vests would be located and started to look around. An employee approached and I told him I was looking for a weighted vest, preferably a 40 pound adjustable style. He pointed to the one on the shelf, which was a 16 pound vest and said that was the only one they had.

So, while that may have been true, that was poor customer service. I have been in situations where we did not carry what the customer was looking for, but I was able to see if there was another one available at one of the other stores in the chain. Even looking it up online to see if one could be ordered and shipped to the store for the customer. THAT is customer service. Not just pointing to the one on the shelf, stating that was all they carried, which was not even close to the requirements asked of by the customer.

Leaving there, I headed to the horrid Big 5 Sporting Goods Store, located down the street from the Sports Authority. I loathe Big 5, with a passion. Perhaps it’s just stores, employees, fellow shoppers, and humans I loathe. Oh, but I digress. An older male employee asked what I was looking for as I entered. I stated that I was interested in a weighted vest, preferably over 20 pounds and adjusts. He led me over to their location, and showed me that they had both a 20 and a 40 adjustable weight. 

I thanked him and went to grab the 40 pound. That is when his mistake occurred. He said, “You should really stick with the 20 pound version. The 40 is too heavy for women.” 

Um…really, buddy? He was just lucky I didn’t launch it and the medicine balls at him for that remark. I told him that I would like the 40 pound since it would allow me to grow with it as I grew stronger.  He again stated that 40 pounds was a lot of weight. I ignored him the best I could as I brought the vest up to the counter for him to ring me up.  As I was leaving, he said, “Well, don’t go hurting yourself!” Wanker.

The final poor customer service I experienced today was at another one of my least favorite stores, Kmart. It is located near Costco, which was a pleasant stop, as I kept my headphones on and used the self-checkout register. Anyhow, I was out of hand lotion (I like the Carmex lotion…it’s non-greasy and works well on my hands) and knew that Kmart had carried it in the past. Well, they didn’t have any in stock. I found a different lotion, and my sleeping medication (I have made my own nightly concoction, comprised of about 5 different sleeping medicines), and headed to the register. 

So far, not a horrible experience. There were no other customers in line, so there was no wait. I ended up having to wait for the cashier, as she was too busy talking to another employee about lunch plans and where she was going to go. Awesome. Do you think you could possibly trouble yourself for a minute and actually do your job? Cunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment