Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Complexities of Communication


The human language, regardless of the dialect, is one of the most powerful, yet widely varied concepts that we have yet to fully understand. We can study how words are formed, tracing from a certain part of the brain during an fMRI scan, noting where the lights are the brightest. We can see the vocal cords vibrate by sending a camera down the trachea, each part moving at a different rate depending on the pitch. Several dictionaries have tried to set forth a definition for words, yet it seems that one word can have many different meanings and interpretations.


Processing words can often become confusing, as one person may say a word and it has no effect on you, whereas another person can say the same thing and it could mean something completely different. How can a string of letters cause pain, whereas the same letters in a different order can lead to glee? Even tone and inflection can change the interpretation…so, how are we as a society supposed to comprehend the immense responsibility associated with deciphering words?


We think, communicate and learn by using words. Sure, you may see a fluffy bunny in your head, but you also hear the word, “bunny,” whilst seeing the image. Well, unless you are one of the rare individuals with synesthesia, which is a condition in the brain that can best be described as tasting colors and words having feelings and odors. This is quite rare, but fascinating.


There are some words that I wish didn’t exist, as they bring me no pleasure. This can be due to either the sound, meaning, personal context or even the look of the word. These include:
  • Prolly
  • Swag
  • Got
  • Cray cray
  • Nom nom
  • Hella
  • Yolo
  • Cotton balls
  • Cali
Some of these are slang words, for which I have no interest in finding out what they mean. What happened to using actual words? Have we become so lazy that we can’t spell out PROBABLY or CALIFORNIA? I do not care for NOM NOM mainly since I can’t stand the sound of people eating…why would I want to read the sound they make? And well, just the word cotton balls sends chills across my body, as I am quite texturally sensitive to them…especially on my fingernails. Drives me mad! Those and wooden popsicle sticks…just the thought of them touching my teeth makes me cringe.

Now, just like I have some unpleasant words, I too have some that make me simply swoon and tingle in all the right places. Some may not be traditionally sensual, but the sound of them or the meaning brings me pleasure. These include:
  • Plethora
  • Kerfuffle
  • Swell
  • Undulation
  • Debauchery
  • Dolt
  • Thwarted
  • Extrapolate
  • Conundrum
  • Nincompoop
  • Necrophilia
Okay, maybe that last one isn't too sensual, but it does sound quite lovely, especially considering what it means. My point is, and yes, I do have one…words count. Many people let words fall out of their mouths, lacking meaning and echoing like a vast canyon. Those are words I do not wish to enter my brain, as they are filler. Words can tell you a lot about a person. They can work as an insight to their thinking process and may even reveal their desires without them being conscious of such. Perhaps this is why I dread small talk so much, as those words seem to be forced, rather than a free-flow of thoughts and ideas.


3 comments:

  1. Fascinating thought provoking read. I have normally taken words for granted, it is interesting to sit back and read with the different meanings in mind vs. simply trying to intake and process information quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read my writing! I have had a love affair with words for some time now, be it their sound, meaning or the feeling they evoke. At times it can be maddening, as it's much faster to "intake and process," but once you consciously decide to pay attention to the words themselves, a new part of your brain awakens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard cray cray or Yolo before, but Nincompoop is definitely an underrated gem!

    ReplyDelete