Thursday, June 5, 2014

Access Denied

You don’t realize how dependent you are on things such as the internet and your phone until you are without their services. It’s funny where my mind goes when I am cut off from everything. First our internet went out about 11 am CST, then I lost the internet access on my smart phone shortly thereafter. I tried resetting both my phone and the modem, to no avail. I even tried to call the internet provider, and my call was not able to go through. I tried calling a few more numbers in my phone, and all of them resulted in the same inability to connect.
The last time all services went down that I can remember was on 9/11. In my mind, the one that always thinks the worst case scenario (and plans for it), it crossed my mind that maybe we had been attacked again. I was cut off from all communications, but my cell texting ability was spotty, so I was able to get a few texts out to see if others were having issues. I recently watched the movie, “The Purge,” and I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind.
It wouldn’t be such a big issue, to be without internet...if I didn’t work from home as a writer, and needing to access research journals and academic databases to gather pertinent information. So, until it comes back up, I am at a standstill work-wise, which means that I am losing productivity and thus, money. If we spend so much money on internet service, shouldn’t it be more reliable? Other countries have more reliable internet service at a more reasonable rate. Why can’t we? I am also afraid what the new changes that will come with the end of Net Neutrality will bring.
I guess I will relax until it comes back up, because I have work to do whenever it decides to resume service. Which, when this gets posted...it is back up and I may have a late night. Turns out, I wasn’t the only one who lost internet and phone. About half of the town went down due to ONE accident. Way to have proactive planning. Now, back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment