Sunday, June 16, 2013

Oregon Tough Mudder 2013

As the aches spread and the bruises begin to develop, the memories of doubt seem to vanish. I learn something valuable from each Tough Mudder I complete. While the most recent one was just my second, I know that there are several more within the tank of my drive. Some may call it foolish or insane, as I am not the fittest person who participates in these grueling events, but I still finish.

It’s not about the time on the clock, as you rush through the electroshock.

One of the best points of the Oregon Mudder was when we formed a human ladder to help one of the guys reach the top of the Everest obstacle. He tried a few times, fell, cramped and sore. But, with some motivation and teamwork, we got our fellow Mudder up and over the obstacle. THAT is what the event is all about. Not how fast you are able to complete the course, but the camaraderie that develops among a group of people who started out as strangers, but ended up hand-in-hand. You won’t find that in a marathon. Keep your "fun runs," I'll stick with Tough Mudders.

As in the first one I completed, there were several injuries, some of which required medical evacuation from the site. Sprains and strains, dehydration and broken bones, are all just part of the potentially dangerous experience of participating in such an event. Luckily, I have escaped serious injuryso far. 

Overcoming fears is a big part of the event. As you step towards the edge of the Walk The Plank obstacle, you are struck with the overwhelming experience of fight or flight. The height is sufficient for you to feel the time it takes to hit the water after you jump. Each time I have been terrified, yet I have completed it, overcoming my fears. And well, the electroshock obstacles are just insane. There’s no other way to put it.

I know that I need to work on my upper body strength some more, along with some longer trail runs up a steep incline. I think the rest of the year will focus on body weight exercises and more functional fitness. Everyone has their own unique goals, which is a great thing. Different doesn’t mean that one is better than the other, but rather each person is able to take their own path, heckeven MAKE their own path if need be.

So, after I let my body recuperate after the hell I put it through the other day, I shall return to my workouts with a renewed hunger and motivation. I WILL cross the Funky Monkey next time.


Oh, and on a side note, the Wounded Warrior Project has raised over $5 million, in part by the participants in the Tough Mudders. 


Now, I just need to work on designing a tattoo so I can keep track (and get into the next one for free).

No comments:

Post a Comment