Saturday, December 29, 2012

Happy to be a Lunk


Lunk. Meathead. Brute. Neanderthal. Vain. Dumb. 

These are all words I have heard associated with bodybuilding and weightlifting, from “outsiders.” This irks me dearly. Just the other day, a coworker had stated that, “Bodybuilders are just people who were teased a lot as a kid. There is something wrong with them.” Of course, this was coming from someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to lift until fatigue sets in, manipulating macros in order to effectively fuel the body, the inching into a tub of hot water and Epsom salt in order to soothe muscles, nor the deliciousness of not-so-delayed onset muscle soreness…the lovely DOMS we chase with fervor. 


Granted, I am not pursuing a bronze statue, but still…it seems rather hurtful to hear these words when they are associated with something I enjoy, admire, and pursue learning with a hunger that is unquenched. Why are certain passions embraced by mainstream society, whereas others are looked down upon? Perhaps it stems from the perceived notion that those who work on their physical bodies are lacking in the mental capacity, as they spend their lives in the gym. Or does it stem from the idea that they are vain and only care about their outside appearance? Granted, there are some dim bodybuilders who follow bad technique and advice, but the same can be said about those choose more mainstream hobbies and careers. There is even prejudice between "fitness" centers, in which one hosts weekly pizza events and prohibits grunting when lifting. Even employing a "Lunk Alarm" and shuns bodybuilders from using their equipment. 


If I had my way, I would do nothing but lift…and lift HEAVY. However, my personal goals include the need for the dreaded cardio, so I compromise and do both. Aside from the changes I have seen in my body, the wealth of knowledge I have gained by researching certain techniques and trying new recipes keeps me motivated, as I thrive on learning. When people learn that I do food prep for the whole week, weighing and measuring each serving prior to storing…they say they would get bored and that I have a problem. Perhaps. Nevertheless, why is eating at fast food “restaurants” and playing video games accepted more readily in society, and the pursuit of healthful goals are berated? 


I will gladly remain an outlier of society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment