Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Goals? Did Somebody Say Goals?


I am a very goal-driven individual. For as long as I can remember, I have been focused on what I am working towards. In the past, it has not always been a positive goal, I will admit. I am not one to sit back and acknowledge my own hard work, be it scholastically or physically. I enjoy looking forward to the steps I have to take in order to reach my goal, as I do not find resting on my laurels to be fun nor rewarding.


My current physical goal is to participate in my first Tough Mudder, which will happen in 39 days (according to my countdown app)…on 29 Sept. I first started training about a year ago, not for this in particular, but just to see what I could do with my body. This is where my…well, I guess fear is the word that comes closest to describing it, comes into play. After I finish my TM, what’s next? A few have suggested triathlons, to which I scoff, as I am not the strongest of swimmer, have not ridden a bike (for real) in years and I detest running. Therefore, who knows…it may be a personal challenge. 


A smaller goal of mine is to move all the weight on the leg press machine at the gym. I am fortunate to work with a client who needs to exercise on a regular basis, so I get to workout too (which provides me with an opportunity to do 2-a-days). Usually he walks for about an hour (at 1.5 mph), which gives me enough time to squeeze in a little of that stuff I loathe, cardio, and some weights as well. Cardio first, as it is like my veggies, with iron being the dessert. If I had my way, I would do nothing but weights. I love the feeling it gives me. I think I grow a small penis during lifting sessions. The rush I get from pushing weight, seeing people who use the machine afterwards have to cut the weight in half (don’t worry, it’s pin-adjusted…I would re-rack my weights…not a total douche).

When I am doing that mundane thing on the treadmill, I look at all the other cardio machines…everyone has a look on their face that lacks excitement or passion. Whether it’s the bike, elliptical or stairmaster, they all share the same zombie look. It’s sad really. While there is nothing wrong with it, I would never want to look like a “cardio bunny” for I am a fan of muscles and strength. I am a supporter of physical activity and increased health, but I workout for reasons other than aesthetics…which will be something for another post.



1 comment:

  1. Right on!

    What would I do after Tough Mudder? Hm, Spartan race? Except you detest running as do I. But there are many other physical activities in the world one can do. Otherwise it may be not be a bad idea to keep building a better foundation for your body.

    I also grow a penis when I workout. I rev like an engine as do you my friend. I love when women workout because it's what we should do to not only be and feel empowered but to give us something to attack, whether it's for therapy or because we need to break through boundaries in one form of another being physical while maintaining the present. :)

    ReplyDelete